Friday, August 14, 2009

fun food Friday

This is a second edition of fun food Fridays (for last weeks see FFF.) I want to elaborate on some ideas to help you get some actual nutrition into your kids’ mouths! Last week one of the tips I shared was sneaking veggies into lasagna. Now, we’ll talk about how far this one dish can go.

  1. A favorite in our house is squash lasagna- I substitute the noodles for strips of yellow summer squash. Just cut the top and bottom of, and slice down lengthwise into thin strips, then cook. Layer these with a ricotta-mozzarella mixture, and your favorite marinara sauce. Bake as usual.
  2. Looking for more? Add in some diced or puréed cauliflower, or silken tofu, to the ricotta cheese mixture- both will add creaminess and nutrition.
  3. Still not enough? How about some extras for the marinara? Try diced or puréed carrots or sweet potatoes. Both of these add in some sweetness to counteract the acidity of tomatoes in marinara, especially if you make your own.

I hope this inspires you to try a new way of getting your family to enjoy your favorite foods in a new, more nutritious way. These tips also work well in other dishes, including ravioli and other pastas, so use your imagination.

For more great family-friendly tips, tricks and posts, see Family Friday at Homemaker Barbi. http://http//www.homemakerbarbi.com/category/family-kids/family-friday-family-kids/

I love your comments, please leave me your feedback and any tips you’d like to share. Remember to follow make-a-home, or add me on friend connect- don’t miss any of these tips.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I came to visit from Homemaker Barbi, and I have to say, Ooooh - that sounds good! I'm going to pass the info on to my daughter and hope she experiments on it when I am there to enjoy it :) This past summer, we tried spaghetti squash and enjoyed that too! Thanks for the recipe ideas!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin