Friday, September 25, 2009

Soaked Pie Crust recipe

I was worried about this, but it was actually super simple, and came out flaky and yummy!

makes enough for 1 - 9 in. crust and 1 top, or 2 crusts, or about 14 - 4 in. rounds for turnovers

2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teas. salt
3/4 teas. sugar

Mix together

1/4 oil or melted butter
1/2 cold butter or lard, cut in slices or chunks

Stir the flour mixture and oil in a large bowl together. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or fork and knife, combining the butter until the pieces are small and mostly uniform or "pea-sized."

2 Tablespoons cultured yogurt or buttermilk
5-6 Tablespoons ice water

Mix together. Add into flour and butter mixture, combining until it makes a dough. If you do not wish to incorporate soaking, put the dough into the fridge for 1 hour, then roll out as desired.
To soak dough, leave out for 8-12 hours, in a cool area (preferably 50-68 degrees.) Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, to overnight. Roll out and use as desired.
This dough is fairly forgiving, but over manipulation when rolling or cutting will make the dough less flaky. Try to work the dough as little as possible. Use lots of flour for rolling out (a good use for sprouted flour) and try to roll onto waxed/ parchment paper. You may then fold over in half, and place into the pie plate to minimize cracking. See this post for a helpful tutorial with pictures. I am happy to post this at Food Renegade's Fight Back Friday.

Like this? Please share:

8 comments:

Kitchen Stewardship said...

I've never seen a soaked pie crust before - what kind of flour do you usually use?
Thanks!
Katie

mahmommy said...

Katie-
I use a white whole wheat flour for almost everything- it's made from "soft" wheat as opposed to the "hard" red winter wheat most other flours are from. I find it is less like whole wheat (DH isn't a fan of that!) and it adapts really well to almost all whole grain flour recipes. I know I've seen other recipes using regular ww, or kamut for theirs so I'm sure that would work also.

Team Geesaman said...

I noticed that you have added sugar to the recipe and was wondering if I could leave that out. I am wanting to make chicken pot pies and didn't want the sweetness. Just a good pie crust that is soaked. Thanks,
Cameron

mahmommy said...

Cameron-
I'm sure you could. I do use this for meat pies, and I often leave the sugar in to add a balanced flavor, although I will cut it down a bit. I know people who leave it out altogether and you surely could! Enjoy.

Shu Han said...

This sounds fantastic! I've often wondered if it's possible to still get a flaky pie crust without using white flour, because I couldn't get around cutting butter into wet flour, but I see you've adapted it such that the soaking takes place after that! Thanks so much for sharing! I'm going to try that soon as I can!

Hope you can check out my posts on making sourdough pasta and gyozas too(: Do you think sourdough would work for pie crusts?

Tribal Mother said...

can I freeze this pie crust?

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for sharing this awesome recipe.

Loren said...

How much lard? It doesn't say which unit!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin