Monday, September 7, 2009

Buttermilk Muffin Recipe

I apologize for letting this one get away from me- this weekend was busy, and I waited until the last moment to finish my schoolwork this week. I talked about how things will always fall through the cracks: this week it was this post. I hope I didn't leave anyone hanging...

Buttermilk Oatmeal Muffin Recipe (adapted from Fannie Farmer Irish Oatmeal Muffins)

2 cups buttermilk
1 cup oats
2 eggs
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
1 Tablespoon oil or melted butter
1 2/3 cup whole grain flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Combine the buttermilk and the oats in a bowl, and refrigerate at least 12 hours, or overnight.
Preheat oven to 400 F. Prepare muffin pans. Beat the eggs in a bowl, add in the honey and molasses, mix together. Add in the oat mixture, and stir well. Add in flour, soda, salt and stir lightly until combined- do not overbeat.
Fill muffin tins 3/4 full with your batter. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until tops are lightly browned and the crumb inside is finished (toothpick check.) Cool on a rack, serve. (I eat mine hot, split open with more butter ;) but they do hold together better if you wait.)

This is a recipe adapted from Fannie Farmer, I think the idea of soaking the oats works well into my new cooking philosophy for grains. I'll have more on this coming up later today, or check out some of these great links:

Food Renegade How to Eat Grains
Natural News The Whole Grain Scam
Kelly The Kitchen Kop Grains & Nuts- Healthy Preparation
Nourishing Gourmet Soaking Grains

I am happy to post this at Homemaker Mondays- be sure to visit for more great ideas!
Like This? Please Share:

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin