Tuesday, August 11, 2009

easy chicken and dumplings

ahh, chicken and dumplings- the perfect comfort food. In the past, I had so many issues with dumplings, until a few years ago. I (in desperation) turned to the ever-faithful Fannie Farmer cookbook-and my dumplings have never caused me stress since. I always make this with leftover chicken- it's easy and only takes as long as the dumplings need to cook.

Dumplings

1 cup flour
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch salt
1/3 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
2 Tablespoons melted butter
2 teaspoons chopped parsley (optional)

Mix flour, breadcrumbs, baking powder and salt together. Add in the milk, egg, butter, and parsley, mixing well. Drop by spoonfuls into a pot of simmering chicken broth and chopped cooked chicken. Only drop as many dumplings as will fit in one layer- you might need to do two batches depending on the size of your pot. Cover and steam for about 10-15 minutes.
When I make this, I'll double or triple the dry ingredients, then store the extra in the pantry so I don't have to mix it all up the next time.
This is such a quick way to make this favorite- I hope you'll try it and enjoy! Leave a comment or share some of your favorite easy mealtime recipes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin