Thursday, November 5, 2009

Holiday System Day 10 - being prepared

One of the most difficult things for me in becoming organized was being prepared. I have run out of gas (too many times,) multiple basic cooking ingredients, cleaning items including dish and laundry detergents, and both diapers and wipes. To combat this apparently natural state of lameness in myself I have determinedly set to stock up on critical items, especially at hectic times -like before the holiday season, maybe?!
This worked so well last year it was almost unreal- I didn't buy any basics from about Halloween until my birthday in early February. Knowing that I didn't need something (like toilet paper) because I had enough (about 75 double rolls!) was a key to my stress-less holiday last year. Try it yourself:


  1. Go through the rooms in your house to get all the basics, i.e. tissues, dishwasher and dish soaps, laundry soap, and yes, toilet paper. If you have young children don't forget diapers and wipes- buy the big boxes if you can. This is a time of year when these things go on sale, because stores know people need lots of them and are trying to save money for the holidays.

  2. Kitchen necessities are also on sale, including baking items like flour, sugar and sweeteners, butter, yeast, chocolate, fruits and nuts. As reminded me, don't forget the spices (or extracts.)

  3. Think of the extras such as tape, gift-wrapping items and stamps. Bonus points for picking out cards a few weeks early -while there's still a good selection.

I know it can be a challenge to buy this stuff ahead of time, especially on a budget. If you try to get the things that are most important, and fill in as you can over the next few weeks, I guarantee you will feel more relaxed. And don't forget to put gas in the car before you go to the stores!

I am sharing this at Finer Things Friday- go and see all the great ideas!

3 comments:

Diann @ The thrifty Groove said...

I totally agree! I am a major fan of being stocked up and being prepared (which is my post today..LOL)

Amy @ Finer Things said...

For us, it's not so much the holidays, but the crazy Kansas weather that can leave us stranded for a few days at a time. Definitely a good thing to stock up!

Ruth J Leamy said...

that's a great idea! It might even be cool enough to put a few extra supplies in the garage now. I normally don't have a place to store extra flour and sugar and that sort of thing (and I use so little of them,not being a baker) but perhaps during the winter I could actually keep some stuff there.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin