Saturday, June 19, 2010

Montessori Education

I have been considering homeschooling my children for some time now- after years of saying that I would never ever want to do that. I went to public school, so I always figured that my kids would too. After watching them grow, and absorb so much of the world around them, I realized that I probably don't want them absorbing much of what's in our society today.

I started researching homeschooling, and came across something I had read about years before becoming pregnant: Montessori. For those who aren't really aware of this concept, here is a great primer. Basically, Montessori is a educational philosophy based on the methods founded by Dr. Maria Montessori. Dr Montessori was an Italian physician who introduced a method of education fo children which allows them to learn the information by their own work, through activities.

Over the next few weeks, I will be sharing more detailed information, and links. To start, this site has lots of great information and free text of some books.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin