Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Real Food Face-off and Authentic Homemade

I am happy to announce that my new blog (all real food all the time) Authentic Homemade is officially open! Be sure to check it out and put it up on your feed readers so you don't miss any real food posts. Some great real food writing is from Katie over at Kitchen Stewardship- where I am honored to be featured today as part of her Real Food Blogger Face-off. with Mama Says.

I am especially glad Katie posted the question on a $20 week food budget- the difficulties of buying real food frugally is a topic close to my heart, and one that will be a main focus of Authentic Homemade. I have been inspired in part by Pennywise Platter Thursdays at Nourishing Gourmet- always filled with great frugal food tips and recipes. (Check out her new carnival on spring cleaning the kitchen- my posts on this will stay here at Make A Home since it's more housekeeping than food related to me.)

Some questions for my Face-off I wanted to share:

  • What is the worst food (or “food”) a person could possibly put into their systems? HFCS- High fructose corn syrup. Or maybe anything in the snack/soda section at your local mega-mart!
  • What’s the most creative thing you do to make life easier in the kitchen? I soak, and prep lots of things at once. It makes my kitchen look crazy-disastrous but only once every two weeks or so. All my grains and beans get soaked or sprouted, and I usually have sourdough and something fermented going too. (note: coming soon- check out Authentic Homemade for more tips and schedules for OAMC real-food style.)

  • When eating out, how do make your menu decision (fav “out” food, anything you avoid)? Sustainable seafood, these are often listed on the menu if it’s wild (especially with salmon and shrimp), good meats (venison is becoming popular here.) If I can’t find those, I will usually get a soup and salad, many of even the cheapest restaurants will make their own stocks.
I hope you enjoyed the Real-food Face-off, I know I did. Thanks to Katie for another task well taken care of! Check out today's post at Authentic Homemade on prepping for OAMC real-food style!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin