Thursday, November 5, 2009

Homemade Soaked Crackers

This recipe was adapted to soaking based on a Fannie Farmer recipe (yes, that cookbook again) It is very simple and makes a delicious cracker. My next few tries will be to alter it into a cheese cracker (to replace the dreaded goldfish that Big Boy somehow became obsessed with before I ever bought them- and which DH continues to buy for him.)

Soaked Crackers
3/4 c. real cultured buttermilk, or yogurt thinned with a bit of milk
1/4 butter, slightly softened
2 cups whole grain flour (I use "white" soft wheat, but imagine you could use your favorite)

Mix together the yogurt and butter until well combined. Add in the flour, and let sit at least 8-12 hours, up to 24 hours. (I usually let it sit overnight and part of the next morning.)
Roll out thinly, using plain white or sprouted flour to dust the surface and rolling pin. Cut into squares (or use cookie cutters for shapes- I have a fish one!) and place on a baking sheet, preferably lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with salt, pepper or other seasoning as desired.
Bake at 425 degrees for approximately 10 minutes. Alternatively, if desiring a "raw food" product these may be dehydrated at a low temperature, and will take from 4-8 hours.
I am happy to share this post at Pennywise Platter Thursdays- check out all the great frugal, real food posts!

5 comments:

Millie said...

Those look so easy.

Q said...

Thanks for the recipe!

I will try this sometime soon I hope.

mahmommy said...

Millie- it really is. Variations to come, but try it with some herbs or black pepper- yum!
Q- Thank you- hope you do try it!

Annabelle said...

i live in Hong Kong, it's very humid here- would that mixture go bad if left out in a humid climate do you think? also, it's not possible to get white whole wheat flour here, would these work with normal whole wheat? i am new to soaking/sprouting and want to start- i wonder can we reverse years of bad eating!

mahmommy said...

Annabelle- I don't think it would go bad, although it might not stay as crisp. I might try baking them at 350-375 degrees until done, maybe about 30-40 minutes, then turning the oven off and leaving them in until cool. This works to really draw out all the moisture.
I'd store in a tightly closed container, maybe with a piece of stale bread, again to keep them dry.
Congratulations on starting a new food venture- I've only been following NT for a few months- it is very do-able. Check out some of the blogs on my follow list- they helped me get started.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin